“When you focus on what you don’t have or on situations that displease you, your mind also becomes darkened…You look for what is wrong and refuse to enjoy life until that is ‘fixed.'” – Sarah Young, Jesus Calling
A mind darkened by an obsession with what is not is incapable of walking in the light. And so here, on this quiet Saturday morning in early April, is a short list of things for which I am thankful.
1. The sun that streams through the windows of this house.
2. The way Owen pants with excitement…about me, his dad, buses, and most everything these days.
3. Eric’s enjoyment of his work at Dashe & Thompson.
4. Washing machines.
5. The ability to read.
6. Spontaneously given open-mouthed kisses from Owen.
7. Cooking, and the ability to practice creativity therein.
8. That Eric and I laugh about the same things.
9. For parents who are still married.
10. For friends who know me and speak words of Life into me.
11. For family members who love my son.
12. Coffee + cookies.
13. The promise of spring as heard in returning sandhill cranes, as seen in my backyard’s robin, as felt in spongey grass.
14. This blog post.
15. That we were able to have a baby.
16. That the love of God is unconditional.
17. That lilacs exist.
18. That I can stay home and witness the ever-changing Owen.
20. That “He will who began a good work in me will carry it out to completion.”
That is all.